One Story’s Literary Debutante Ball: A Celebration of Emerging Writers is now just 18 days away. Here at the office we’re a little crazed. Art is coming in and being photographed, performances are being planned, volunteers are being recruited. It’s our first ever benefit, and we are figuring it out as we go along.
But today, we’d like to take a moment to announce one of the most important aspects of the evening – the debutantes and their escorts.
On the evening of May 21, 2010, comedian John Hodgman will be presenting 9 writers who published their first work in our pages. At One Story, publishing a debut writer always excites us — a first publication is a milestone in a writers life and we do our best to help our writers celebrate. The ball is allowing us to do this in a big way, to look back at some of our debut writers, to present them in person, and to see how far they’ve come.
Each one of our debutantes has selected a mentor to escort them in the procession. The mentors are established writers who have helped these writers at important points in their careers. The debutantes and their fabulous escorts are:
- Sam Allingham, escorted by Dan Chaon
- Ramona Ausubel, escorted by Michelle Latiolais
- Nell Casey, escorted by Tamara Jenkins
- Amelia Kahaney, escorted by Michael Cunningham
- Cheston Knapp, escorted by Jim & Karen Shepard
- Cote Smith, escorted by Deb Olin Unferth
- Patrick Somerville, escorted by Hannah Tinti
- Arlaina Tibensky, escorted by Victor LaValle
- Grant Monroe, escorted by Jonathan Lethem
Tickets for the event are selling faster than we expected. If you’d like to join us for the Literary Debutante Ball in Brooklyn on the 21st, click here.