Friends! Writers! Countrymen! The One Story Literary Debutante Ball will take place next Friday, May 15th at Roulette in Brooklyn. Each year we sell out of tickets. We’re now a week out and closing fast–it’s time to get yours, today! You don’t want to miss the literary event of the season. There will be delicious food, amazing music, wine, beer and cocktails, along with readers, writers, publishers and editors celebrating the magic of literary friendship together. The highlight of the evening will be the presentation of the One Story Mentor of the Year award, and the formal announcement of our 2015 Literary Debutantes–One Story authors who have published their first books in the past year, each escorted by another writer or editor who has been a mentor for them. There will be:
- Cocktails by Tito’s Vodka
- Beer from Brooklyn Brewery
- Music by The Blue Vipers of Brooklyn
- DJ Julie Shore of the Will Butler Band
- Mentors of the Year Toi Derricotte & Cornelius Eady (co-founders of Cave Canem), introduced by Gregory Pardlo, winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize!
- And our 2015 Literary Debutantes:
- Mia Alvar–escorted by Jaime Manrique
- Matthew Baker–escorted by Bethany Strout
- Austin Bunn–escorted by Emily Cunningham
- Scott Cheshire–escorted by Sarah Bowlin
- Diane Cook–escorted by Rebecca Curtis
- Katie Coyle–escorted by Allison Amend
- Andrew Roe–escorted by Michelle Brower & Andra Miller
- Matt Sumell–escorted by Nicole Aragi
- Ted Thompson–escorted by Darin Strauss
- Anne Valente–escorted by Seth Fried
We can’t wait to see all of your shining faces! Not sure what to wear? Check out these pictures from last year–dress is Brooklyn formal, which means everything from tuxedos to tuxedo t-shirts.
All funds raised help keep the doors of One Story open, and aid our mission to celebrate the art of the short story and support the writers who write them. So get out your sequined Chuck Taylors, and get ready to hit the dance floor! We’ll see you on Friday, May 15th!