One Story Inc. offers educational programming for writers at every level. Our teachers have experience as editors as well as authors, and provide a unique perspective on how fiction works on the page. Classes are fun, affordable, and offer a close-knit literary community. Join us!
- January 21st - 26th: Write with One Story
Start your New Year by getting new work on the page! Join One Story Publisher Maribeth Batcha along with One Story writers and editors for this online generative writing class designed for writers of all skill levels.
- February 25th - March 2nd: Character: A Craft Intensive with Patrick Ryan
Devote some time to breathing new life into old characters or creating fresh ones in this craft intensive. You’ll leave with the tools you need to improve your characters and guide you towards writing fleshed-out, people-driven stories.
- March 22th - 28th: Become Your Own Best Editor with Will Allison
Join One Story contributing editor Will Allison and contributors Sanjay Agnihotri and Shannon Sanders for peek behind the scenes at how a One Story story is edited!
- April 29th - May 3rd: And Then The Space Robots Attack: Blending Genres for Fun & Profit with Manuel Gonzales
As genre lines begin to blur, learn how to juggle different genre expectations, blend genres effectively and convincingly, and tap into a wide variety of narrative forms and voices.
- June 9th - 15th: Write a Short Story with Hannah Tinti
Write a short story five sentences at a time in one of our most popular class offerings.
- July 25th - August 1st: Summer Writers Conference
Join One Story online for eight days of intensive workshops, lectures, and panels with publishing professionals.
- August 19th - 23rd: A Writer’s Sense of Place with Kali Fajardo-Anstine
This course focuses on strengthening a writer’s ability to utilize setting in ways that push, expand, and further the idea of place and a sense of home in fiction.
- September (Dates TBD): Hit Submit with Lena Valencia
Designed for fiction writers of all levels, this class will answer these questions—and more—about how to present your work and yourself to the editors, agents, and selection committees on the other side of the submit button.
- October (Dates TBD): Revision with Lisa Ko
- November (Dates TBD): Crafting Your Writing Life with Ann Napolitano
Note: Dates are subject to change.
“Attending the One Story workshop is the single best thing I have done for myself as a writer.”
— Kimberly Kalaja, Summer Workshop 2014
“I learned so much this week, and it was good for me in so many ways. My only regret is that I didn’t take it earlier.”
— Tara Lindis, Summer Workshop 2014
“The intimate size of the group and the talented One Story folks made for a magical week! The course had the smartest, most thoughtful group of readers I’ve ever had in a workshop.”
— Ellen Weeren, Summer Workshop 2014