The One Teen Story Teen Writing Contest will be open for submissions
September 8th, 2020 - November 20th, 2020.
One Teen Story Submission Guidelines:
One Teen Story publishes 3 stories a year and accepts submissions from teen writers ages 13-19. For a list of writers we have published in the past and short samples of their stories, please visit our past issues page.
We’re excited to announce our newest One Teen Story Contest! From September 8th, 2020 through November 20th, 2020, we’re asking writers ages 13-19 to enter their original, unpublished fiction. We are interested in great short stories of any genre about the teen experience—literary, fantasy, sci-fi, love stories, horror, etc. What’s in a great short story? Interesting teen characters, strong writing, and a beginning, middle, and end.
The winning stories will be published in forthcoming issues of One Teen Story, which will reach over ten thousand readers. The contest winners will receive $500 upon publication and 25 copies of the magazine featuring their work. The contest winners will also have the opportunity to work with a One Teen Story editor prior to publication. Honorable mentions will be chosen in three age categories: 13-15, 16-17, and 18-19, and each will be announced on our website, by email announcement, and on social media.
- To enter, you must be between the ages of 13-19 as of November 20th, 2020.
- Short stories should be between 2,000 to 4,500 words and be the writer’s own original, previously unpublished work.
- Previously published stories and stories forthcoming at other publications cannot be considered. This includes stories that have been self-published online on personal websites or other publishing platforms, including blogs.
- By submitting your work, you are acknowledging that it is your own creation, that it has not been borrowed from any other person’s work (including film and video content), and that the characters and situations are of your own invention.
- Stories should have teens as their main characters and be about the teen experience.
- No entry fee is required.
- Only one submission per person.
- One Teen Story reserves the right to approve all final, edited content.
- A parent or legal guardian must sign a consent form for One Teen Story to publish the names of winners who are under the age of 18 on our website and social media platforms.
- A parent must sign a consent form for One Teen Story to publish the names of the winners and honorable mentions on our website.
- You must submit through our online Submission Manager.
- Proof of age must be provided by all winners and finalists.
How to Submit:
We have an automated system for you to send us your work. It will securely send our editors your story and email you a confirmation that it has been received. To use the automated system, you’ll need to log in to your One Teen Story account. If you don’t have one, you will be able to create one on our Submission Manager when you submit your piece. Using this account, you will be able to check the status of your submission at any time by going to our login page. When you are ready to submit, please visit our Submission Manager. In the Genre drop-down menu, be sure to select your correct age group. IMPORTANT: Please note that we only accept work by writers ages 13-19. If your story is being considered for publication, we will ask that you provide us with proof of your age.
November 20th, 2020 11:59pm ET
Important Information for Teachers:
Teachers: if you would like to use this contest for a class project, please email us at the address below with your email and mailing address, and we’ll send you a desk copy of one of our previous winners, along with a PDF for you to share with your classroom.
If you have any questions, please emailwith the subject line One Teen Story Contest.
If you have any other questions, please email us at.